Tuesday, July 13, 2010

ANTARCTIC ANTICS

ANTARCTIC ANTICS- A BOOK OF PENGUIN POEMS
The last time I visited the zoo, which was quite a few years ago, I remember how interesting I thought the penguins were. Therefore, when I saw this book and how it's also poetry, I thought it would be a great way to introduce poetry into the lives of my students. Not only is it fun to read about things that make children curious, but they can also learn a lot from this book. Another reason why I choose this book is because it was A National Parenting Publications Gold Award Winner. It also has praises for it from Booklist and the School Library Journal.
I also decided to write about this book because of the different features it offers to students. It teaches them, through poetry, about a killer whale, leopard seal, skua bird, and about the weather. The pictures in the book are also very engaging to students because of the details and the bright colors. There is also a poem called Antarctic Anthem. The pictures in those particular pages show the penguins with their arms standing straight on their sides while the little baby penguins are playing along. This picture was especially touching because it shows the penguins displaying a human trait. It's definitely something the children will be able to relate too.

No comments:

Post a Comment